The composition and style of this organ was common in Castilian organs from the beginning of the 18th century. It has early horizontal reeds and Lleno of flautados that contrast only with the Corneta (cornet).
It stands alone above the lower choir at the back of the church, on the south side, which gives it a very light and aerial sensation.
The case has some special features. The first and most enigmatic one is the rear facade, whose surprising nature -the Trompeta Real (Royal Trumpet) was “towered” (in the tower)- had not been clear until historical documentation came to light.
We do not know all the reforms that the case underwent but, among other vicissitudes, it was struck by lightning.
It has two sections with the same design plan, separated by the Clarín line on the facade.
The polychromy with the dark-colored-carvings does not seem to be the original one.
The detail of the musician angels with the trumpets, flanked by two demons located on the edges, gives a singular look to the case.
The action is simple: it has a wind chest built in two sections, channel boards for the pipes on the facade and a Corneta small wind-chest.
Key action with roller boards and wrought iron registry action.
It is clear that the pipes have different origins. On one hand, the Flautado de 13 has very large pipes on the facade that do not fit well in the vertical sections.
On the other hand, there are also pipes inside that have different workmanship. They are all old except for the ones added during the 1987 restoration.
The bellows may be part of the 1864 reform.
One big horizontal bellows and feed pumps on the lower side.
Harmonization and tuning
Harmonization followed the patterns given by the pipes, even though they were disorganized and damaged.
- Harmonized at 55 mm wc
- Tuning pitch 415 and mean-tone temperament.